We often see eating as second nature and so don't pay much attention to food consciously we just know that we like it and that's that. So it's really surprising to suddenly have to pay attention and realize just how great a role food plays in our society and how many times it comes up while we're watching television or going to the movies.
In the last few years I've been watching less and less television but have been much more connected to my computer and watching shows, clips and movies on it. It's become much easier to do that and the world is literally at my fingertips.
However I don’t necessarily follow television series that are popular at the moment because I only have 4 channels so I am a bit limited. That doesn’t stop me from going over to my aunt’s house every once and while and watch the food network on her HDTV.
On the Internet I tend to look for interesting films and lately that has led to me foreign movies. As I think back to some of my favorite ones, the most memorable scenes in terms of moving the plot along or being very emotional, tend to revolve around food.
The easiest foreign movies to find have been Asian movies and I’m almost hooked on them you could say as the storylines are very inventive and capture emotion in a sincere way. Some of the ones I’ve enjoyed the most were Korean films whose genre could probably be described as romantic comedies but I feel there’s an added layer to what we know as Hollywood chick flicks.
What I’ve noticed is that in these Korean films there is always a scene where the main character and supporting character will go to a food stand (which are very prominent in South-Korea), eat bbq meat, vegetables and drink rice wine. These are usually the turnaround points of the movie or when you get to feel closer to the characters.
In comparison to the Hollywood films I’ve seen, I feel that the Asian films food is much more integrated in the plotline of the story, it isn’t a backdrop, a metaphor or product placement it acts as indications of a story moving along.
In a film like “My Sassy Girl” food plays a part every step of the way as opposed to other films where food is used as a comedy prop, for example.
Or even a show like “The City” or “The Hills” which are constructed reality tv shows where you don’t ever see the characters cooking at home, but instead eat out, while still never seeing them eat because the interest is in the drama that’s going on between the characters.
Similar to the film Chocolat, there is a Japanese movie which is completely based around the art of making Udon noodles. Watching the trailer makes you salivate and I believe it proves how our brains are directly connected to our stomachs all the time. We enjoy movies, television and books that talk about food because we can relate to this experience and connect them to a slew of emotions.
In the last few years I've been watching less and less television but have been much more connected to my computer and watching shows, clips and movies on it. It's become much easier to do that and the world is literally at my fingertips.
However I don’t necessarily follow television series that are popular at the moment because I only have 4 channels so I am a bit limited. That doesn’t stop me from going over to my aunt’s house every once and while and watch the food network on her HDTV.
On the Internet I tend to look for interesting films and lately that has led to me foreign movies. As I think back to some of my favorite ones, the most memorable scenes in terms of moving the plot along or being very emotional, tend to revolve around food.
The easiest foreign movies to find have been Asian movies and I’m almost hooked on them you could say as the storylines are very inventive and capture emotion in a sincere way. Some of the ones I’ve enjoyed the most were Korean films whose genre could probably be described as romantic comedies but I feel there’s an added layer to what we know as Hollywood chick flicks.
What I’ve noticed is that in these Korean films there is always a scene where the main character and supporting character will go to a food stand (which are very prominent in South-Korea), eat bbq meat, vegetables and drink rice wine. These are usually the turnaround points of the movie or when you get to feel closer to the characters.
In comparison to the Hollywood films I’ve seen, I feel that the Asian films food is much more integrated in the plotline of the story, it isn’t a backdrop, a metaphor or product placement it acts as indications of a story moving along.
In a film like “My Sassy Girl” food plays a part every step of the way as opposed to other films where food is used as a comedy prop, for example.
Or even a show like “The City” or “The Hills” which are constructed reality tv shows where you don’t ever see the characters cooking at home, but instead eat out, while still never seeing them eat because the interest is in the drama that’s going on between the characters.
Similar to the film Chocolat, there is a Japanese movie which is completely based around the art of making Udon noodles. Watching the trailer makes you salivate and I believe it proves how our brains are directly connected to our stomachs all the time. We enjoy movies, television and books that talk about food because we can relate to this experience and connect them to a slew of emotions.
here is the trailer from for the movie titled "Udon"
And here is a clip of an American/Japanese film called "Ramen Girl" about a young American woman who follows her boyfriend to Tokyo only to be dumped by him leading her to find her way to a ramen noodle shop where she decides to train to become a chef.
No comments:
Post a Comment